Thursday, April 10, 2008

mommie dearest


I don't know why but I'm all geared up for mother's day. Maybe it's because we have the cutest little mother's day cards available at citizen video. Or maybe it's because - what with easter in march this year - there are absolutely no good holidays in april. Only the irs deadline. And god does that suck (let me say personally, that this year's tax season sucked in particular) and so we need something to look forward to after that.

So how about films about mothers? Or even if they aren't about mothers, how about some films with great "mother" characters. I have a list going and I'll update as the big day approaches:

All About My Mother - for the life of me - despite the title - I can't remember anything about the mother in this film.

Secrets and Lies - a great Michael Leigh film about an adopted black woman who goes in search of her mother. wonderful cast and acting.

House of Yes - in which Geneviève Bujold plays one of my favorite mothers of all time. You definitely get a hint of why her children turned out the way they did

Rosemary's Baby - soooooooo much cooler than all the sweet romantic comedies about women and pregnancy lately. Mia Farrow as the vessel of the son of satan.

Paris, Texas - Natasha Kinkski, the mom who ditches her family to work at a curious peep show of sorts

Harold and Maude - hats off to Vivian Pickles who plays the most relentlessly match-making-meddler-mom of all time.

More to come.

2 comments:

Mr. Kevin said...

I'd say Psycho is a good choice for Mother's Day.

Mr. Kevin said...

Here is an old Mother's Day post from the best film (and etc.) blog on the net, The Houe Next Door. http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/2006/05/5-for-day-motherhood.html